SLEEP. It's a parents single biggest concern - or at least is seems to be for the parenting team of Kath and Tom. It comes with fear (what happens if they NEVER sleep?!?), excitement (whoa, he's still sleeping?!?!), anxiety (what happens if he wakes up AGAIN?!?), irritation (why won't he just go to sleep already?!?) and then there's the odd time of pleasure ...
MOMENT: Splash, rub, read, sing, hug, "bye"
It's been a long, 16 month journey of seeking sleep. Specifically Tavish's sleep, but therefore ours as well. The first 5 months of Tavish's life he was literally tied up (swaddled) for the sake of sleep. He was pretty much the-baby-with-no-arms most of the time with some serious 'shush'ing (or hairdryer-ing ... long story) thrown in for good measure. Although it seems that the sleepy sheep must have finally won (knock on wood ... no, seriously - if you're reading this - knock on wood, please) because things seem quite good now. Until recently, he'd never been put down for a sleep of any sort without some protesting - sometimes lasting a few minutes ... sometimes up to an hour. It's been our dinner music more times than we care to count. Tonight though, tonight was an example of a 'pleasure' time regarding bedtime and sleep. It was just Tavish and I. Tom was tackling the disaster on the deck that was the aftermath of Tavish discovering that he loves rice and beans. Bath time as usual. Teeth brushing (or barely since Tavish does it himself) as usual. Then we got into the bedroom and I reintroduced an old bedtime 'routine' from the early days: massage. When Tavish was born, Fariba (our amazing midwife) encouraged giving him an olive oil massage every day. We did this religiously before bed for months and months, but like many good habits - it was slowly dropped. I've noticed lately how much Tavish enjoys having sunscreen applied to his skin, he's even brought it to me. So, out came the oil. I wasn't confident that he'd be still enough to enjoy it, but as soon as I applied some to his leg, he was still, mesmerized and relaxed. Why did we ever stop doing this?! I enjoyed it, he enjoyed it - it's all around happiness. He was even eager to have his back done so sat up when I offered. Very sweet. After it was diapering and jammie-ing as usual, then books. When I started singing, he snuggled into our hug as usual. I love these moments. Tavish is relaxed, peaceful and affectionate. I decided at the end of my songs to talk quiety with him about our day: What a great day we had together with Daddy. We went for a bike ride then to see Grandpa for lunch with Aunie Michele and Uncle Mark. You played in the water at Grandpas with Harrison and Finn. You had a nice nap when we got home. We went for a walk in the stroller and played outside on the deck before our dinner of rice and beans. What a lovely time together. Tomorrow we'll have more adventures together after a nice sleep. Good night Tavish. I love you very much and look forward to seeing you in the morning. I then hear a quiet "bu-bye". I laid Tavish in his crib and he smiles at me with another quiet "bu-bye" and a kiss (muuu-wah) blown to me. I turned on the music as I left and did not hear a peep. Just like that, our baby sleeps. Helping him to fall asleep this easily truly was a pleasure. Now it's our turn - good night, bu-bye and muuu-wah.
No comments:
Post a Comment