I figured I'd only 'blog' now and then but here I am again and again ... maybe it's the 'new' factor or the 'Tavish being awesome' factor? Time will tell I suppose.
DEVELOPMENT: Ba, Ba Bathtub
A few days ago, I was coming downstairs and talking to Tom who was holding the baby gate open for me. Well, Tavish made a 'crawl' for it which was odd because he typically closes it if it's left open or waits until we're with him to embark on the stairs. Anyway, up he came to me (I was only a few steps up, so maybe he felt I was 'following' him?) and was in full-steam-ahead mode. I asked if he needed a diaper change (insert sign language symbol here). He stared at me blankly. Okay .... so I said "Daddy is going to change your diaper" and up Tom came to replace my spot on the steps. Tavish was not liking this repeated reference to diaper change. So Daddy-the-trooper just let Tavish show him what he wanted once he got to the top of the stairs. He confidently crawled at full speed toward the bathroom saying "ba. ba. ba" and would stop for an instant every other crawl and tap his hands to his chest. He crawled up to the tub edge, pulled himself up to standing and beamed at his Dad: "ba. ba. ba". Oh, Tavish would like a bath, not a diaper change. For your reference, 'bath' is two hands traveling in circles on your chest in a washing motion. Apparently, Tavish is an observer of this language. Yay.
Tonight we ate out on the deck (hingsight: bad idea, it's H O T) and when Tavish was finished his meal and picked up by Tom, the "ba. ba. ba." started. Tom asked "Tavish, what would you like?" (it's our standard question designed to elicit a sign language response and have found it significantly reduces frustration all around). Tavish beamed that sparsely toothed grin and rubbed his chest with two hands "ba. ba. ba." He was right, it was bath time. Rub-a-dub-dub!
No comments:
Post a Comment