Keva loves the phone (like mother like daughter). I'm embarrassed to admit this, but Keva's first official 'sign' actually was "phone". Several months back on our way home from dropping Tavish off, I stopped to check the messages that had come in on my phone. I looked down to see my daughter, with a twinkle in her eye, holding her hand flat to her ear saying "uh-uh". Um, yes ... phone, Mommy is on the phone. It's true, her first sign wasn't "food" or "more" or "sleep" or any other sign we do a lot around here. It was one she made up herself "phone" (blush). My parents must be loving this ...
MOMENT: Phone from my Feet
I'm even more embarrassed to admit this story, but it's such a good one (and I'm confident in my overall parenting abilities) that I'm going to share it anyway. I was almost finished what I was working at on the computer when Keva let me know her nap was over. I don't recall what I was focussed on, but it seemed important at the time. So, not wanting to neglect her (see? good parent), I went to rescue her right away. When she was engrossed in some independent play, I thought that I could quickly finish off what I'd been doing on the computer. She was immediately onto me ... she always knows when I sit down. Both my mobile and cordless phones were on the couch beside where I was working. She, of course, was instantly lured over to them. In a moment of weakness, I caved and dismissed her having the cordless phone in her hand. I just need one more minute. A moment or two later, I hear my cellphone ring. It wasn't on the couch, it'd fallen to the floor. When I grabbed it and answered I heard "hii-eee" in stereo. "Huh-huh". My daughter, sitting at my feet, my cordless phone to hear ear, looking up at me with pride. She'd called her mother. On the phone. No idea how, but I got the encrypted (and not-so-subtle) message. The computer was put away and we were phoneless and fancy free together in our living room ... well, right after I captured the moment after this life lesson from my daughter...
* note: Keva's wide-open mouth is her way of saying "yes"
No comments:
Post a Comment