Saturday, December 7, 2013

Superheros

Tavish has been schooled in the world of superheroes at school. It's amazing how a child ill-exposed to television or pop culture in general can become an expert so quickly, but it's certainly happened. As parents, we are ill-equipped for this genre of stuff': no toys, books, apps or shows in our house. This might (groan) have to (sigh) change (gasp), but just a little...

MOMENT: Mighty Paper Heroes

It seems that Tavish's most informed friend in all things superhero, is Jacob. "Who knows the most about superheroes, Tavish?" "Jacob, he knows everything". I was at the school one day and said to Jacob "You know so much about superheroes." He smiled proudly (wearing a superman shirt and a red piece of material as a cape) and then said "Tavish knows almost as much as me now too!". From what I've seen and heard, Jacob has only ever been Superman. It's no wonder Tavish LOVES dressing up in costumes when he can, it's peer pleasure! Jacob dubbed Tavish 'Green Lantern' and boy did that stick...

At any point, I may turn into my superhero alter ego 
One evening while getting ready for bed, I heard something crinkle in Tavish's pants pocket. Tavish pulled back, smiled and said "can I show you something?". I was intrigued. He turned around to secretively and carefully pull something out of his pocket. He took his time and got it perfectly organized to show me. He spun back around with a bright smile on his face and had these in his hands...


At school, he had carefully torn out these pictures from the back of a magazine. He looked at me and asked sweetly "do you think this green one is Green Lantern, Mom?". He also said "Mommy, did you know that this Batman and Superman are lego?! I can tell by the feet. Batman and Superman lego!" The situation is pretty real, he fell asleep with these things in his bed that night and I overheard him playing with them in his room after stories. A few nights. They are still sitting in a bowl in his room. I don't think they still hold the same appeal, but he hasn't exactly parted with them either.Yeah, this superhero thing is a culture that permeates a young boy's life indeed. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment